If it is necessary to do your own home treatment, keep the following tips in mind:
A big part of chemical peels is to exfoliate dead skin cells from the skin. This can be achieved in a safe way at home using enzymatic exfoliators. The enzymes that are used are mostly plant based - papaya, bromelaine from pineapple or pumpkin. These are very safe to use at home since they do not contain harmful beads that can cause micro-tears in the skin.
Lamelle contains Cathepzyme D which is an enzyme in your skin that it uses to shed itself. This is a laboratory formulated skin-identical ingredient. It comes in 2 strengths - most clients will be safe to use Cathepzyme number 2.
Remember to apply a moisturiser or even a sheetmask with hyaluronic acid to nourish the skin after the exfoliation. The skin is now prepared to actively absorb ingredients. Try to use a good serum after exfoliating your skin. These also normally have stronger actives in them.
It is important not to over-exfoliate your skin at home since this can cause the lipid-layer to be damaged causing dryness.
The best frequency is probably once per week depending on the strength of the enzyme.
Microneedling at home
To use the roller at home:
- Use a cold sterilant before and after rolling your skin
- Probably best to roll at night because sunscreen should not be applied directly after rolling
- Do dry rolling, apply the serum only when you have completed the microneedling. (helps to keep the roller clean)
- Do 2-3 passes in each direction - horizontal, vertical and diagonal on each section of the face
- Do not apply pressure when rolling - think of a lawn mower rolling over grass
- Put the roller back in its protective packaging as soon as you are finished rolling
- Do not roll too often - give your skin sufficient time to recover between treatments
- Use only serums designed for microneedling during the process. Also spend money on the best actives that you can afford
- You can use a sheet mask after microneedling, again making sure that is a calming mask - no acids for example
- Always use sunscreen but be especially careful after microneedling
Although the above options will not have the same impact as in-salon treatment, it will help to improve your skin over a longer period of time and can also be used in between treatment to maintain results.